[Nouveau] 2 cards in, but work only separately

Pekka Paalanen pq at iki.fi
Sun Aug 1 01:41:04 PDT 2010

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 22:08:23 +0000
Kārlis Repsons <k at 11.lv> wrote:

> Hi list,
> my thanks to developers of nouveau first: I wonder how you put it
> together this far, where there's quite enough to appreciate!
>
> This question I have: strangely I can get each of 2 cards to work
> separately for a dualseat PC by toggling on/off fbcon=map: kernel
> option (compiled with CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_DETECT_PRIMARY)
> -- by doing so I can have each card initialized and start it's
> Xorg, all welll, but can't have both cards initialized (and thus
> used) -- why?
>
> In very short, this is what my dmesg says:
> [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
> nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
> [drm] Initialized nouveau 0.0.16 20090420 for 0000:01:00.0 on
> minor 0 nouveau 0000:04:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
> nouveau 0000:04:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
> nouveau 0000:04:00.0: PCI INT A disabled
> nouveau: probe of 0000:04:00.0 failed with error -12

Is this really a continuous section of the kernel log, no
lines removed from between?

If that is so, you are using user mode setting, which has been
depracated and removed a long time ago. No support whatsoever
in that case. KMS is mandatory, can you try with that?

What versions of the Nouveau components and the kernel you have?
What cards do you have?

--
Pekka Paalanen
http://www.iki.fi/pq/