[Nouveau] nouveau interrupts firewire ISO streaming

Maarten Maathuis madman2003 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 05:35:04 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Adrian Knoth <adi at drcomp.erfurt.thur.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> After switching from UMS (dated 20090701+c0bf670) to KMS (as of
> 2010-02-01), almost any X activity causes buffer underruns on my
> firewire soundcard.
>
> When the X pointer changes from arrow to the vertical text selection
> bar, firewire streaming is interrupted. Same with scrolling in firefox
> or hovering over a link, thus changing the pointer to "hand".
>
> Looks like nouveau is disabling interrupts now and then, which leads to
> stalled firewire ISO streaming. I don't know what nouveau's actually
> doing, I'm just guessing. ;)

I don't think interrupts are disabled for uploading a cursor, more
likely is that your firewire driver depends on the big kernel lock. At
the moment we still hold that. That said, i don't think nouveau can
make any kind of latency garuantees. We do intend to go to a design
that doesn't rely on the BKL at some point, but i wouldn't expect that
to happen this month.