[Nouveau] Removal of Non-KMS support

Pekka Paalanen pq at iki.fi
Wed Jan 6 14:58:27 PST 2010

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 15:32:30 +1000
Ben Skeggs <skeggsb at gmail.com> wrote:

> I did a very quick pass at removing all the non-KMS support from
> the DDX.  It's tested on G80 but nowhere else currently, I
> thought some discussion would be a good idea rather than just
> ripping it out :)
>
> The non-KMS paths are messy, and lets face it, rotting badly.
> IMO the KMS code is stable enough now that we can continue
> without the UMS crutch, and indeed, the KMS code supports a lot
> more chipsets (particularly on GF8 and up) than the UMS code ever
> will.

Considering that any BSD will not have KMS for quite some time
(do they?), this sounds very cruel. Is it really such a big
pain to keep the code around?

OTOH, BSDs are stuck with pre-TTM Nouveau until they port GEM
and TTM to BSDs. How much more will it cost to BSDs to add KMS
to the list of mandatory kernel features... rnoland and others,
any comments?

--
Pekka Paalanen
http://www.iki.fi/pq/