[Nouveau] [Discussion] User controls for PowerManagement

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Jan 12 08:39:16 PST 2010

> The general opinion appears to be "communicating the least possible". In
> my opinion this means we shouldn't communicate shader speeds, voltages
> and fan speeds. Assuming each GPU clock speed is unique (eg. not 2 equal
> GPU speeds with different memory clock speeds) we could even suffice
> with just the GPU speed (like scaling_available_frequencies in CPUFreq).
> This can be done, as said, like cpufreq in sysfs. When GPU is not
> unique, it's also possible to communicate those separated by a slash
> ("135/150") or anything. Any other thoughts on this, either from Nouveau
> or Radeon/Intel developers?

W.r.t showing the current state, I don't have much opinion.  But w.r.t
what can be changed via sysfs, I agree there should just be very few
settings: performance and powersave (where I'd expect powersave to use
an ondemand strategy since it's usually the most efficient power-wise,
tho if needed we could have an extra one for "ondemand").

        Stefan