[Nouveau] low memory

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 03:05:52 PST 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Strange, I am 99% sure I did update libdrm , and before updating ddx.
> I will double-check tomorrow.
>
> And I indeed found this commit :
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/xf86-video-nouveau/commit/?id=bb1947831d9a4e080b8d1e9dba086af6527ef479
> So I assume the libdrm one is this one on the same day :
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm/commit/?id=f1660c249198b5cc14ebbb75107da7bcb6972033
>
> So by playing with these two commits, I should also be able to provide
> more information. Thanks !

I don't know why, but this code no longer works with recent ttm (January).

It seems it's always able to pin/alloc or map, even when there is not
enough space. I checked the return values inside create_pixmap.
But ttm will fail later trying to validate a too big pixmap. See
attached output, the vanilla error is just "validate: -12" but I added
two debug statements to get more info.
Any ideas why the pin/alloc/map always go through ? But
nouveau_gem_pushbuf_validate later fails ?

Another problem is that when nouveau_gem_pushbuf_validate, not only
the picture is not displayed, but the system always becomes very
sluggish for a few seconds. And I sometimes get very weird memory
errors. Also attached.
(BUG kmalloc-512: Poison overwritten . Allocated in nouveau_bo_new .
Freed in nouveau_bo_del_ttm)

Anyway I just found out this commit :
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/xf86-video-nouveau/commit/?id=5587f40c1b8af7d178f9a68d0f1fecdfc0ca9749

This is the workaround I have been looking for during one month ! :) I
just had to bump 32M -> 64M.
I don't understand why I cannot see/feel any performance drop.
What could I use as benchmark to compare the perf ?