[Nouveau] [TEST REQUEST] Implementation of INIT_COMPUTE_MEM.

Francisco Jerez currojerez at riseup.net
Tue Jul 13 09:41:47 PDT 2010

The INIT_COMPUTE_MEM opcode was one of the missing pieces for pre-nv40
card cold-booting (i.e. multicard), it's supposed to detect the right
setting for several of the memory config variables a given GPU supports
(memory type, bus width, amount of installed RAM chips).

The implementation I'm attaching seems to work on all the cards I've got
at hand, but I've done a few unproven assumptions about the many
different memory configs there are, so I'd like to get as many Acked-
and Tested-by's as possible before pushing (a cleaned up version of)
this patch.

Instructions you may follow if you have an nv0x-nv3x card (i.e. GF
FX5xxx or older):
1/ Apply and build the attached patch over the latest nouveau kernel
   tree from git.
2/ Load nouveau.ko
3/ Suspend and resume from RAM (in most cases
   "# echo mem > /sys/power/state" should just work)
4/ Send me the output from "dmesg" and "lspci -vv"

Cold-booting an unposted card should also work with this patch applied,
but logs taken after a suspend/resume cycle are likely to be more
interesting.

If suspend to RAM used to work for you and this patch breaks it up,
please provide the output from dmesg and lspci anyway (grabbed before
suspend if you can't even ssh in). In that case I'd also be interested
in a BIOS dump from your card (see [1]).

If suspend has never worked for you, please try again with latest git,
I've done a few minor suspend/resume fixes lately and it might work now.

Thanks!

[1] http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/DumpingVideoBios