[Nouveau] "(EE) NOUVEAU(0): Unable to allocate GART memory" (TNT-2)

Anders Eriksson aeriksson at fastmail.fm
Sat Nov 20 02:32:56 PST 2010

currojerez at riseup.net said:
> Weird, nouveau_bo_new() is returning -ENOMEM even though you should have
> plenty of GART space available. To rule out an AGP backend issue, can you try
> to reproduce it with "nouveau.noagp=1" in the kernel command line? (attach
> full kernel logs if you can)

Actually, I ended up doing a kernel upgrade 2.6.35.7 to 2.6.37-rc2 and it went
away

- (EE) NOUVEAU(0): Unable to allocate GART memory
+ (II) NOUVEAU(0): GART: Allocated 16MiB as a scratch buffer

I don't mind running a newer kernel. Any idea to bisect it kernel side for you
guys?

BTW, I'm looking for a new card to replace this one as it has developed gray
bands across the full screen for all fonts (i.e. black stuff on otherwise
white background "leaks"). Some googling indicates that it's a common issue
with TNT2 cards. So, now it's mostly if can help improve the driver for this
rarely used/tested card. I should have a replacement in a month or so.

/Anders