[Nouveau] OT: compilation

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 17:21:09 PDT 2010

On 10/07/2010 01:46 PM, Grzesiek Sójka wrote:
> On 10/07/10 22:34, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
>> Yes, it is CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO as far as I recall, disable that.
> Where is it?? Which file??

It is part of your kernel configuration.  Go to the directory containing
the source code of your kernel, usually /usr/src/linux-2.6.xx, and then
run 'make menuconfig'.

When the configuration menu appears, type the '/' character to enter the
'search' mode and then type 'localversion' (for example) to find the list
of matching items.

I find two items:

  Symbol: LOCALVERSION [=]                                                                                   │
   │ Type  : string                                                                                             │
   │ Prompt: Local version - append to kernel release                                                           │
   │   Defined at init/Kconfig:87                                                                               │
   │   Location:                                                                                                │
   │     -> General setup                                                                                       │
   │                                                                                                            │
   │                                                                                                            │
   │ Symbol: LOCALVERSION_AUTO [=y]                                                                             │
   │ Type  : boolean                                                                                            │
   │ Prompt: Automatically append version information to the version string                                     │
   │   Defined at init/Kconfig:97                                                                               │
   │   Location:                                                                                                │
   │     -> General setup                                                                                       │

The difference between the two is not obvious, but the second item is what
you were (correctly) advised to look for.

Notice that the "Location" of both items is "General setup".

Exit the search function.

You should now be back in the kernel configuration menu and , just by
luck, the "General setup" item should already be highlighted (for me it
is colored blue).

Hit Enter to see the the "General setup" menu.

On my machine the item you want is on line number four.  Hit the SPACE
bar to select the item and then use the TAB key to navigate to "Exit"
and hit Enter to go back to the main menu and then hit "Exit" again.

You should see a dialog asking you if you want to save your new kernel
configuration, and, of course, you do want to save it.

Now recompile and install your new kernel.