[Nouveau] Problems with the driver

Marcin Slusarz marcin.slusarz at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 08:10:55 PDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 04:13:06PM +0200, Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can build the driver, it loads, but it does not work. Please find
> attached my local data, sorry for the form, I made it a few days ago and
> would have to build a new kernel which would also not work. My card is
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9400
> GT] (rev a1). The things stay the same, never mind how I try.

You have 0.0.16 nouveau kernel module, but 0.0.15 libdrm/xf86-video-nouveau.
This is probably your main problem. Upgrade libdrm and xf86-video-nouveau.

Note, you didn't uninstall NVIDIA proprietary driver (Module glx:
endor="NVIDIA Corporation" in xorg.log) which might crash X if wrong
version of some component is installed (don't remember which one, just
uninstall nvidia drivers)

If you resolve these issues and still have problem, simplify your xorg.conf
to contain only:

Section "Device"
Identifier "n"
Driver "nouveau"