[Nouveau] Minitor ID problem with KMS and nouveu

Jonathan Andrews jon at jonshouse.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 00:25:09 PDT 2011

I've recently installed a Debian machine. It has two older (identical
looking) 4x3 19" monitors, both capable of 1280x1024.

My problem is that one of the panels returns no monitor ID.  I've tried
using KMS kernel arguments but nothing useful happens.

My question is in the absence of a EDID why does the user specifying a
resolution in kernel arguments not force compliance from the driver.  IE
If the user manually states 1280x1024 why does nouveau not take the hint
rather than trying to comply with some generic monitor definition?

Many thanks,
Jon