[Nouveau] hwmon API update

Martin Peres martin.peres at free.fr
Sun Feb 13 04:18:44 PST 2011

Hi,

I am working on power management on the nouveau driver and I need a way
to get data out of and send commands to the i2c drivers from the kernel
space.

We can already change the clocks of the card, but we need a way to
monitor the temperature and bump the fan speed if needed.
Another problem with letting users mess with the i2c driver by
themselves is that some cards use the i2c driver for fan management
while others don't. This is why I would like to introduce nouveau as an
hwmon driver, exporting the temperature, fan management and clock speeds
so as we can use the thermal zone to monitor the temperature and react
when needed.

So far, we use:
- w83l785ts
- w83781d
- adt7473 (most common one)
- f75375
- lm99

With the help of Matthew Garret, I updated his previous proposal for an
in-kernel API for hwmon. The patch should apply cleanly on Linux
2.6.38-rc4. This patch only provides the API, no modification to the
drivers has been completed yet.

Looking forward to your review and feedback.

Martin