[Nouveau] Latest Git still freezes AGP [GeForce 7600 GS]

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 02:44:26 PST 2011

>On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 01:20:04AM -0900, Roger wrote:
>On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 04:27:47PM -0900, rogerx.oss at gmail.com wrote:
>>On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 02:41:55PM -0900, Roger wrote:
>>>
>>>Just a ping here concerning the "nVidia Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600 GS]" and
>>>AGP issues.

...snip...

>>Seems like this bug is halfway worked out?
>
>I've gone back to recent stable kernel release 2.6.37 that I just installed,
>and verify that compiling the in-kernel nouveau as module does allow AGP mode
>to work.  I do believe however, 2.6.37 statically linked nouveau driver will
>freeze framebuffer when trying to use AGP mode.
>
>To me, this is really starting to sound more like a timing issue between the
>"Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge" and
>nouveau?
>
>(FYI: drm is still being compiled statically. Just nouveau requires to be
>compiled as module to evade AGP issues.)

Dropping back to recent kernel 2.6.37, with nouveau as module, with AGP
enabled, I just started noticing kernel freezes (without panics -- sorry, still
no real success using KDUMP here). The freezes would occur approximately within
5 minutes of using the system (using only framebuffer console, no X).

I'm now back to recent 2.6.37-rc3-g036b465 git nouveau version here and things
appear more stable.  No freezes with AGP *yet*, but still only with nouveau as
modules (not statically linked).

So far, looking good. I do believe I had this version of git nouveau kernel up
yesterday for a while without seeing those previous freezes.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/