[Nouveau] CCACHE and VFETCH FAULTs causing lockups

Maarten Maathuis madman2003 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 14:43:38 PST 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Ben Skeggs <bskeggs at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 21:08 +0000, Maarten Maathuis wrote:
>
>> Those come after 15-30 minutes of running warzone2100, i haven't
>> played any games for a while, so no idea how long this has been going
>> on.
>> I also got a TRAP_CCACHE on channel 2 a little while ago, it takes
>> much longer to trigger (a few hours). I'm using todays "nouveau
>> kernel" git.
> You're not the first person to have reported this fwiw, personally, I
> haven't seen it yet..
>

>> I'm guessing something is being unmapped too early or without reason,
>> or some cache is stale. But it isn't obvious what exactly it is.
>>
>> Because i don't remember having these lockups before I'm inclined to
>> guess that this commit is involved
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/linux-2.6/commit/?id=6330d8f5ecc4a19fd2ad3c7fa128b2f4c2ce3360
>>
>> Any ideas?
> Not really.  If this commit *is* the cause, the problem is still
> somewhere else.  That commit just makes sure PTEs are marked invalid, so
> if it's causing your faults, then previously the GPU would still have
> been reading/writing invalid data.

I reverted the commit today and things seem to be going be better,
I'll give it a few more days before coming to a conclusion. I
understand that the real issue is somewhere else.

--
Far away from the primal instinct, the song seems to fade away, the
river get wider between your thoughts and the things we do and say.