[Nouveau] [lm-sensors] hwmon API update

Martin Peres martin.peres at free.fr
Thu Mar 3 05:09:54 PST 2011

Dave,

The answers are inlined.

Le 03/03/2011 10:36, Dave Airlie a écrit :
> Martin,
>
> you probably should have cc'ed Matthew since it was his patch you based this on,
> and I think he can provide a good explaination.
I knew he was monitoring the nouveau ML. He provided a good explanation
but forgot to CC the nouveau ML.

Could someone in the lm-sensors mailing list forward the most important
thread?
> to clarify some points,
>
> radeon does probably want something exactly like this, we just haven't gotten to
> it completely yet, I'd rather not have two drivers in the kernel for
> exact same hardware,
> and I believe sharing the hwmon code to do what we want is a good plan since you
> don't go around reinventing wheels, but if hwmon/i2c maintainers have
> no interest
> it leaves with little choice but to implement about 5-10 i2c drivers
> again in drm codebase.
>
> Maybe hwmon/i2c maintainers could suggest a cleaner way to implement
> what we want,
> which I think I can summarize as
>
> a) access to monitored values in-kernel
> b) no userspace access to the same values except via sanitised via the driver.
a) is mandatory, b) would be great!
> though I'm not following this as closely as I should so I may have
> missed something.
I don't think you missed anything but long argue on the lm-sensors ML.
> Dave.
The reason why I didn't answer on this matter earlier was that I was in
the process
of moving from one city to another. I only got the internet access on
both my computers
yesterday evening and I was planing to restart the process this week end.

It's good to see you we are not the only one needing this.

Martin