[Nouveau] custom monitor formats

William Moss bill.m.moss at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 12:34:49 PDT 2011

I recently updated from OpenSUSE 11.3 to 11.4.
The proprietary Nvidia driver will no longer work, even the latest
NVIDIA...run.
I removed it and set up nouveau, which works fine except it ignores my
customized
/etc/xorg.conf.d files and sets my monitor to 1024x768.

The monitor, an ACER AL1916W should be run at 1440x900 and this is the
preferred
mode (modeline) in the configuration files. This is how it worked with the
NVIDIA
drivers and should be still true.

Apparently, the nouveau module (driver) is ignoring the settings in the
/etc/xorg.d/50-device.conf and the associated conf files that are bound
in the server conf file.

I tested the setup with
	xinit -- :0
which works but at the incorrect resolution.

I even tried a customized and compiled 3.0.4 Kernel, to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.
I have no problem with compiling and installing or even modifying source.