[Nouveau] H.264 engine differences between fermi and tesla cards

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 6 20:24:03 PST 2013

Ignore my previous questions. (Or answer them, it's always interesting
to hear what the "right" answers are rather than "close enough".)

Thanks for going over the h264 picparm format, most of the fields you
mentioned were already being set as you described, just not properly
documented in the struct you saw. However a couple were being set
incorrectly/not at all (esp the long term reference-frame related
ones... since no actual videos with that set exist, at least not in my
library).

Want to know what it was? Storage settings. Ugh. The "ref_bo" (the
buffer containing the reference frame data as well as a few other
things) was created with a tile mode/memtype, while the others
weren't. I removed those settings, and it's all fine now. I'm going to
play around with it some more, perhaps that ref_bo ought to be split
up into two, since I suspect that having those turned on would be
beneficial for performance when dealing with image data. (And why did
it work with VC1? Who knows.) And of course the Fermi+ code handles
this differently since the storage parameters are all different (and
it sets them for *all* bo's handed to the video decoding engines).

Apologies for this being such a "trivial" issue, and I had totally
forgotten about the storage type. When I was working with VP2 setting
it incorrectly just meant misrendered images, not engine hangs.

Cheers,

  -ilia