[Nouveau] Bad performace for NV18 driver

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 13:31:15 PDT 2013

On 08/06/13 19:06, Carlos Garces wrote:
> After update the system now I use:
>
> Kernel 3.9.2
> x server 1.12.4
> nouveau 1.0.7

Good call

> the xorg config are at:
>
> http://pastebin.com/2LUxLiVs

Bad call, your resolution issues are due to messed up config

If you really insist on having such an "interesting" setup, start from
scratch and build on top of it - one section at a time. I would
recommend getting the "minimal" xorg.conf [1] as a base

> It's the one installed by my distro, without any modification
>
> I have made 2 test.
>
> Normal boot
> Xorg at http://pastebin.com/reZdAXEF
> GLX Renderer is detected as GLX "Mesa DRI nv18 x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE GLX"

Note that nouveau correctly detects that the monitor is 1024x768 60Hz
capable.

"(II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1024x768"x60.0"

Something is the config you're feeding it causes the issue

> Same configuration with nomodeset
> Xorg log at http://pastebin.com/ZbXBG8sz
> GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on softpipe
>
> Results for Cairo test with and without nomodeset
> http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1306082-CGAR-CAIROTE23
>
> Full results from Friday (before update Mesa)
> http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1306072-UT-2DGPUTEST95
>

> The result with Cairo are better in the updated system, 0.63 FPS vs
> 0.54 FPS but still worse than boot with nomodeset (7,84 FPS)
>
> Any ideas to improve the results with Cairo?

If you do a bit of search[2] you'll notice that in quite a few cases
cairo/sw is quite fast

Quite a few of the benchmarks in your original post were faster using
nouveau

On that note, I believe that a question in terms of "Program XXX is
rendering very slow, is there any way to improve that ?" would be more
beneficial

Regards
Emil

P.S. Please avoid top-posting