[Nouveau] GeForce 8400 GS

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 15:04:01 PDT 2013

On 03/10/13 19:45, Fernando Negro wrote:
>  Hi everyone.
>
> I read on a 2011 article - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nouveau_comp_2011&num=19 - that my particular card, GeForce 8400 GS, overheats with nouveau. (So, I never tried using if for long, before, as soon as possible, installing the proprietary drivers...) But, because it's a 2-year-old article, I was wondering if that problem could have been, in the meantime, solved?... (Can anyone tell me if that is so, or not - or indicate me a place where I can know that?)
>
> Thank you, all, in advance.

Hi Fernando,

The idea of overheating is quite subjective and heavily depends on how
sane the OEM was. But to put a long story short

1. Nouveau does not change the clock frequencies and voltage (among a
few others) which may cause higher than desired temperature for some users.
2. Thermal management has been available for a while now although it's
disabled by default. You would need to enable it manually see [1] [2]

I would personally give nouveau a try if I was in your case and check
the temperature via (lm_)sensors.

Hope that helps,
Emil

[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg31902.html