[Nouveau] GeForce 8400 GS

Robert Hancock hancockrwd at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 18:13:02 PDT 2013

On 10/03/2013 12:45 PM, Fernando Negro wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I read on a 2011 article -
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nouveau_comp_2011&num=19
> - that my particular card, GeForce 8400 GS, overheats with nouveau. (So,
> I never tried using if for long, before, as soon as possible, installing
> the proprietary drivers...) But, because it's a 2-year-old article, I
> was wondering if that problem could have been, in the meantime,
> solved?... (Can anyone tell me if that is so, or not - or indicate me a
> place where I can know that?)

That situation likely hasn't changed as far as I know. But I think that
article was overreacting. 80 degrees C on an NVIDIA GPU really should
not be dangerous. There are GPUs that can normally hit over 100 degrees
even with active cooling. Passively cooled GPUs like that will normally
run pretty warm.