[Nouveau] MmioTrace: Using the Instruction Decoder, etc.

Pekka Paalanen pq at iki.fi
Mon Oct 28 04:30:49 PDT 2013

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 17:19:56 +0400
Eugene Shatokhin <euspectre at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2013/10/25 Pekka Paalanen <pq at iki.fi>

> > We could use some comments from the real reverse-engineers. I used
> > to be mostly a tool writer.
> >

> Yes, if some experts could share their knowledge of this matter, this would
> be most welcome!

Hi,

I got one comment in IRC, saying that a faster mmiotrace would be
nice, but probably not something he would invest time in.

Looking at it from that point of view, I guess mmiotrace works well enough,
and is "only" a reverse-engineering tool, not something used daily.
That, and the lack of replies here indicate that rewriting mmiotrace
with your approach might not be worth it. I don't think anyone
opposes to the idea, they just have better things to do.

It's all up to you, I believe.

Thanks,
pq