[Nouveau] Assistance in tracking a kernel/nouveau error

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Sun Apr 6 18:43:52 PDT 2014

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 7:16 PM, ~Stack~ <i.am.stack at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am resending this as it doesn't appear in the archives and no one
> responded...maybe it got routed to /dev/null or something :-)
>
> I have asked this question the Scientific Linux mailing list (a few
> months ago) and got the suggestion I talk to the kernel guys. I pinged a
> kernel guy I know, and his suggestion was to ask the Nouveau list. So
> here I am. :-)
>
> I have had my work laptop for well over a year now running SL6 and
> everything has been fantastic. Never once have I had a kernel
> panic/problem. That is until the kernel 2.6.32-400+ series. Rolling back
> to the previous kernel 2.6.32-358 works perfectly, which is what I have
> been doing. The problem is that I am now getting the same issue on other
> laptops with the latest kernel 2.6.32-431.11.2.el6.x86_64. My laptop is
> Dell Precision M4600. 80% of the time it is plugged into my Dell PRO2X
> laptop dock which has my dual Display Port Dell U2410 monitors (betcha
> can't tell what vendor my employer frequently buys from...;-).
>
> My working kernel is: 2.6.32-358.23.2.el6.x86_64 (and anything before).
>
> The problem kernel is: 2.6.32-431.1.2.el6.x86_64 and every revision
> up-to the latest 2.6.32-431.11.2.el6.x86_64.

These are redhat frankenkernels, perhaps you should be talking to
redhat? You might try a kernel bisect, if they supply a set of patches
between rpm's. Also, what hardware do these laptops have? (lspci
otuput would be nice). Can you test with a fresh kernel (e.g. some
distro's livecd) rather than one based on a 5-year old release?