[Nouveau] System fails to boot w/o boot option "nomodeset"

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 9 21:24:28 PDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Thomas Schneider <c.monty at web.de> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm using rather old hardware:
> Mainboard (Asus A7N8X)
> AGP (Asus V7700)
>
> manfred at pc1:~$ lspci -v | grep VGA
> 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV15 [GeForce2
> GTS/Pro] (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
>
> My operating system is SolydX based on Debian Testing.
>
> The issue is that I cannot start the system w/o boot option "nomodeset".

Using nomodeset disables nouveau entirely, so you won't be able to use
the 'nouveau' ddx either. It'd probably work with vesa or something.

Things to try:

nouveau.noaccel=1
nouveau.agpmode=0

(also in combination)

Did this system ever work? Any indication that the hardware isn't
terminally busted?

> I get this information after displaying Grub menu:
>
> Linux 3.11-2-486 wird geladen ...
> Initiale Ramdisk wird geladen ...

> Then the system is freezing and I need to hard reset.

If you boot without the quiet option it should make it much more
apparent where things are going wrong.

  -ilia