[Nouveau] System fails to boot w/o boot option "nomodeset"

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Thu Apr 10 06:55:25 PDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Thomas Schneider <c.monty at web.de> wrote:
> Well, with the setting/option "nomodeset" I don't use any xorg.conf at all.
>
> I'm just not sure if the system would boot w/o xorg.conf and w/o
> "nomodeset".
>
> Anyway, I will give it a try and use the recommended options
> "nouveau.noaccel=1" and "nouveau.agpmode=0" (also in combination).
>
> Question:
> Could someone give a statement about the potential root cause?

Not without you providing some more info. You have "quiet" in your
kernel command line (twice, it seems) -- I would assume that logs
printed to the console would provide some indication of where things
go wrong, so try removing quiet. You can also try setting up
netconsole.

> Could it be true that there's no working driver for this graphic card on
> Linux?

NV15 should be supported by nouveau. Of course, it's an older card
that's harder to come by nowadays, so it's quite believable that
support for it would have regressed somehow. I do know that the PCI
versions of NV05 and NV18 work fine.