[Nouveau] Should I dump my Nvidia card from the less known brand "Gainward"?

Fernando Negro fernando.negro at inbox.ru
Fri Jan 10 04:36:52 PST 2014

 Hi everyone.

I'm a big Free Software enthusiast and, therefore, I would very much like to use the nouveau free driver, instead of the proprietary one.

My problem is that, looking for the cheapest option available, when I needed to buy a new graphics card, 2 years ago, I decided for a model from a brand that I had never heard of - called "Gainward" - because I thought it had a better price/quality relationship than its ASUS equivalent with the same Nvidia chip.

My specific graphics cards is this one: http://www.gainward.com/main/product/vga/pro/p00472/p00472_datasheet_17204da7fe6add60c.pdf?s=125

Because I used to use a not completely free GNU/Linux distribution at the time, where one could easily install the proprietary driver, right after installing the distro, I've always run this last driver on it, and managed to find a version where it would run well.

But, now wanting to migrate to a completely free GNU/Linux distribution, I now notice better the problem that I have, with this specific graphics card, where I can't even make the nouveau drivers run on it, let alone run well...

I've already made several tests, with different kernels, and there's really no way that I can make this graphics card work with the nouveau driver. (My results here: http://trisquel.info/en/forum/nouveau-mi-eq-overflowing#comment-43762) And, the problem that appears, is what is listed here: http://trisquel.info/en/forum/nouveau-mi-eq-overflowing

And, after learning, in this mailing-list, that people who use this card's ASUS equivalent with the same Nvidia chip, don't have any of the problems that I have, I now know that this is a particular type/brand of card, or particular graphics card, that is not currently supported by the nouveau driver.

So, my question is...

Knowing that Free Software is mainly developed to run on the most used type of computer components, and not being, apparently, my graphics card, one of this type of most used components, do the people here, in this mailing-list, know if, or think that, there's ever going to be some effort made to make the nouveau driver run on the type of graphics card that I have?

(What I want to know, in practical terms, is if it's worth keeping this graphics card for some possible use in the Future, when it will be supported, or if it's better for me to just sell it to someone who's not as interested as me in using only Free Software?)

Thank you, all, in advance, for your answers.

And thank you very much, also, all of you, for the *great results* that I've already witnessed on other graphics cards.