[Nouveau] Should I dump my Nvidia card from the less known brand "Gainward"?

Marcin Kościelnicki koriakin at 0x04.net
Sat Jan 11 05:26:45 PST 2014

> * there is some missmatch between the reported amount of VRAM vs the one
> calculated
> [ 2.132258] [drm] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: memory controller reports 512MiB
> VRAM
> [ 2.132264] [drm] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: we calculated 1024MiB VRAM

I can explain that one: nouveau doesn't know about single-subpartition
[ie. 32-bit bus width per partition] GT21x parts. While that causes an
error in memory calculations, the calculations err on the safe side
(reordering block is 2x larger than it needs to be), and there should be
no negative consequences.

I'll prepare a fix for that bug once I finish my research on dual-rank
tesla cards (which likely involve a calculation error that falls on the
*un*safe side), but for the moment it's nothing to worry about.

Marcin Kościelnicki