[Nouveau] (Free)BSD support?

Chris nouveau at bsdforge.com
Thu Nov 6 18:22:15 PST 2014

On Fri, 7 Nov 2014 12:11:08 +1000 Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote

> >> Afaik currently there is no port for (Free)BSD.
> >>
> >> On the positive side nouveau's current infrastructure ("core", interface
> >> "nvif" and "drm glue") will make things quite easy for anyone familiar
> >> with BSD's equivalent of core drm,ttm,etc. One only needs to port the
> >> "drm glue".
> >>
> >> Iirc Jean-Sébastien (Cc'd) did mention nouveau + FreeBSD at XDC,
> >> although I'm not sure what his current plans are. Perhaps he might be
> >> able to give you some ideas, if you're willing to give it a go ?
> > Thank you very much for the informative reply, Emil.
> > I'm happy to make the investment (creating the FreeBSD port).
> > I currently already maintain several FreeBSD ports. So it's not
> > all that unfamiliar. :)
> > I just didn't want to "start from scratch" if I didn't need to. :)
> > I give a closer look, and see what I can find. Maybe Jean-Sébastien
> > will also have something to say.
> >
> > Thank you again, Emil, for the reply.
> >

> I think you missed the point,
>
> this is a kernel driver that needs porting, not just a userspace driver,
> there are no userspace drivers anymore. porting the X.org userspace
> driver is required but not sufficient.
Indeed. I _think_ I understood correctly. I can't envision any _real_
problems. If I understand correctly, it'll be a matter of creating a
kernel module for the BSD platform, and making it loadable (kldload,
in BSD speak). Which will allow it to work with the resources made
available to the kernel (hardware). In fact it should be even easier,
given that there is a Linux ABI available on BSD which even nVidia
makes use of, with the blobs they provide.
Do I seem on track?

Thank you, Dave. For taking the time to reply.

--Chris