[Nouveau] Is it necessary to parse the VBIOS init table when executable is false?

李金华 goodqt at outlook.com
Wed Nov 19 04:31:24 PST 2014

Hello everyone,

The code is at /core/subdev/bios/init.c.
When the executable is 0,these functions that parse the VBIOS init table seems to do nothing except the parsing. And in my opinion,init_exec_force does nothing,too!

Then I tried to test it on my computer,when the VBIOS parser tries to change a MMIO register or call a function of struct nouveau_devinit (such as devinit->pll_set,etc.),it will print a message into the kernel log. However,I cannot see any message about this in the kernel log!

Finally,I decided to just return when executable is zero. Then I found out the driver also works perfectly.

So I asked the question here,thanks for your help.