[Nouveau] VGA resume & thaw (wake up from S3 & S4) broken - kernel(nouveau) exclusively

Roy Spliet seven at nimrod-online.com
Sat Sep 13 14:45:35 PDT 2014

Dear Poma,

Don't get anyone wrong, your input is greatly valued. The reason why
"we" (nouveau developers) generally ask for a git bisection is because
we don't know or track specific distributions. Although your search has
narrowed the problem down (thanks for that!), we don't know how big the
difference is between kernel-3.16.0-0.rc0.git9.1.fc21 and
kernel-3.16.0-0.rc0.git10.1.fc21. Is the difference literally just that
one patch? Or were there more patches to nouveau or drm that might have
been the culprit? So far I haven't succeeded in finding the exact
differences between the two kernels. Git bisect on the upstream kernel
on the other hand will always point at the precise patch that broke the
kernel, narrowing down the search space of the bug for developers thus
reducing the time it takes to fix your issue. Unless developers can
reproduce your issue, Unfortunately the user is the person who has to do
the bisecting.
So in short: narrowing down the search space often saves a lot of time
of the developer, reducing the time it takes to fix your issue!
Thus, if you can find the time to perform a git bisect (with the right
good/bad markers it really should not take that many kernels to build),
or if you can validate that the patch you mention *really* is the only
difference between the two kernels, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! Yours,

Roy