[Nouveau] [mesa v2 8/9] nvc0: remove allocation of unused sw class

Samuel Pitoiset samuel.pitoiset at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 08:05:52 PST 2015

On 12/08/2015 04:30 PM, Emil Velikov wrote:
> On 8 December 2015 at 14:56, Samuel Pitoiset <samuel.pitoiset at gmail.com> wrote:
>> NACK.
>>
>> This patches breaks MP performance counters on Fermi/Kepler because they
>> actually use software methods to configure multiplexers. Global perf
>> counters will also use software methods to init, sample and read hardware
>> counters, so this SW object is definitely needed.
>>
> I'm curious how exactly this happens. Afaict there is no reference to
> the nvsw object, which ought to be used, wouldn't it ?
> Imho if there is something subtle it's worth adding a comment.

Usually, we need to "register" a subchannel using
the NV01_SUBCHAN_OBJECT command, but surprisingly this doesn't seem to
be needed for this SW subchan. Probably because it's not *really* a
subchan like 3D, 2D, COMPUTE, M2MF and so on.

I'm not sure if the right way is to use NV01_SUBCHAN_OBJECT like other
subchans (even if this one won't change anything), or to add a comment.

Ben, any ideas?

--
-Samuel