[Nouveau] K2200 Special Setup Question

Pekka Paalanen pq at iki.fi
Tue Dec 29 01:52:02 PST 2015

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 22:50:14 +0100
ternaryd <ternaryd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm planning to use a K2200 board with an Eizo
> monitor at 10 bits color depth together with a
> standard monitor on a debian sid system.

Hi,

I don't know anything about K2200, but I suppose I can give what I
recall from Xorg a few years ago since no-one else replied to you
yet. I am making the assumption that you are talking about setting
up X11 with Xorg.

> Is it possible to have one monitor with 8, the
> other with 10 bit colors? Is it possible to

I think so, yes, as long as the different depths are on different
X11 SCREENs, but this has the big caveat that you cannot drag
windows from one monitor to another.

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/MultiMonitorDesktop/

If you have a single card with multiple heads, you would be looking
for "Zaphod" options.

> configure such a setup choosing for each
> monitor a different resolution (dpi) such that
> a window would not change size when moved from
> one monitor to the other?

"Not changing physical size" is a controversial goal depending on
what exactly you want and how it is achieved. If you are working on
prints and you want to see it 1:1 in physical scale, it is probably
best to calibrate that in the editing program and with a physical
ruler than to rely on any "dpi" numbers from the system. If you are
talking about fonts, "same size" is often contradicting with "good
looking" or even "same looking". In any case on X11, it is up to the
application to resize its window and content accordingly.

I can look up a few "why dpi is not what you want" related articles
in case you are interested in that side story.

I have not heard of it being possible to have both differing color
depths and the ability to drag windows from one monitor to another
on X11.

Thanks,
pq