[Nouveau] Nouveau for FreeBSD

Chris nouveau at bsdforge.com
Mon Jan 12 16:06:39 PST 2015

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 17:28:56 -0500 "Curtis Hamilton" <hamiltcl at verizon.net>
wrote

> Is anyone working on nouveau for FreeBSD?
I asked the same question, when I joined the list. Here's the
response I got from Jean-Sébastien Pédron:

Hi!

The Nouveau kernel driver is close to the Radeon kernel in terms of
DRM/TTM infrastructure requirements. We have that working in FreeBSD.

So the task consists of:
    1. Taking Nouveau from Linux, preferrably 3.8 to keep our DRM code
       on the same base (so we can update the whole consistently).
    2. Adding the source files to the FreeBSD kernel
    3. Start the porting effort: the locking primitives, the PCI API,
       how memory is allocated, etc. are different compared to Linux.

It's probably not that difficult to do, however, it needs time. I would
recommend to not start this effort right now: we are in the process of
updating the DRM device-independent code to match Linux 3.8.
Furthermore, I'm preparing a proposal to have some sort of Linux kernel
API wrapper above FreeBSD facilities to reduce the diff with Linux and
help with porting new drivers.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron

--Chris