[Nouveau] support for dp 1.2

Stephen Adler adler at stephenadler.com
Tue Jun 16 12:53:33 PDT 2015

On Tue, 2015-06-16 at 15:47 -0400, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 3:33 PM, Stephen Adler <
> adler at stephenadler.com> wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > Is there support for display port 1.2 with the nouveau driver and
> > GTX
> > 970?
> >
> > I have a dell 4K monitor and to run it in 4K mode at 60Hz I need to
> > configure the monitor to run version 1.2 of the display port
> > protocol.
> > the nouveau driver works well with display port 1.1 but I only get
> > 30Hz refresh rate at 4K resolution.
>
> The DP 1.2 540MHz rate should be supported. However there is
> presently
> no MST support, so if the monitor has 2 internal panels, that won't
> pan out so well (yet).
>
> Also note that the GTX 970 requires signed firmware from NVIDIA to
> use
> any acceleration, and we haven't quite yet figured out how to get
> that
> going. This means that all you get is modesetting, no acceleration.
> Esp with a 4K screen, using llvmpipe may feel slow if you use a GL
> compositor, as many modern desktops do.
>
>   -ilia

Thanks for the quick response. I'm having a hell of a time with the
nvidia driver since I have three 4K monitors which hook up to the GTX
970 card, but in linux it will only drive two of the 3 monitors. The
monitors do have the dual internal panels each running at 1920x2160 or
something like that. For some reason nvidia only drives 4 of the panels
(two monitors) per GPU...

Is the MST support imminent? or off into the future?

Cheers.