[Nouveau] support for dp 1.2

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 16 13:22:40 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 4:15 PM, Stephen Adler <adler at stephenadler.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-06-16 at 16:00 -0400, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 3:53 PM, Stephen Adler <
>> adler at stephenadler.com> wrote:

>> > Thanks for the quick response. I'm having a hell of a time with the
>> > nvidia driver since I have three 4K monitors which hook up to the
>> > GTX
>> > 970 card, but in linux it will only drive two of the 3 monitors.
>> > The
>> > monitors do have the dual internal panels each running at 1920x2160
>> > or
>> > something like that. For some reason nvidia only drives 4 of the
>> > panels
>> > (two monitors) per GPU...
>>
>> Kepler+ GPUs only have 4 CRTC's, so you can only scan out 4 things at
>> a time [pre-Kepler have only 2 CRTC's]. However perhaps you can have
>> single CRTC split an image up into 2 encoders, I don't really know
>> how
>> that works, esp in the context of DP-MST, where it's really a single
>> encoder.
>>

>> > Is the MST support imminent? or off into the future?
>>
>> It's on the horizon... a horizon, of course, being an imaginary line
>> that keeps moving further away as you attempt to approach it :)
>> Here's
>> Ben's tree from a year ago (which BTW has no support for your GPU at
>> all):
>>
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~darktama/nouveau/log/?h=devel-mst
>>
>> AFAIK he's been putting it off, trying to combine it with a
>> conversion
>> to atomic modesetting.
>>
>>   -ilia
>>

> Thanks Ilia, you certianly seem to know what your talking about...
> So... how about this question? Would you be familiar with the Base
> Mosaic and/or SLI mosaic configurations for the nvidia driver?
> specifically if they work with geforce cards? I know they work with
> quadro cards. (At least the base mosaic does with the quadro cards.)
>
> I may just get me another card to solve the 3 monitor problem.

Nope, sorry. Not really familiar with what the blob drivers offer in
that regard. I will say that if the actual HW supports your
configuration (e.g. it works fine in Windows with the exact same
cables / connectors / etc), chances are you can file a bug with them
somehow, not sure what the response rate is though.

I do know that things will go much smoother if all your monitors are
hooked up to a single GPU than to multiple GPU's.

  -ilia