[Nouveau] Handling GeForce GTX 850M GPU on Arch Linux

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Sun May 17 16:46:04 PDT 2015

Your errors are most likely due to:

[    2.421428] nouveau  [     PFB][0000:01:00.0] RAM size: 1975398418 MiB

I'm guessing you don't *actually* have 1.9PB of VRAM. At least one
other person with a GM108 was seeing a similar issue. You're getting a
bunch of other failed reads, looks like we're somehow not bringing the
card up properly. The most immediate "fix" is to just disable nouveau
entirely -- boot with nouveau.modeset=0.

Cheers,

  -ilia