[Nouveau] Documentation request for MP warp error 0x10

Robert Morell rmorell at nvidia.com
Fri Nov 6 12:59:32 PST 2015

On Fri, Oct 02, 2015 at 06:05:21PM -0400, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> Could you advise what the proper way of indicating
> that the memory is "global" to the op? I'm sure I'm just missing
> something simple. If you show me what to look for in SM35 I can
> probably find it on my own for SM20/SM30/SM50.

Sorry again for the delay.  Here's what I've been able to find out about
the generic thread address space (used by the SMs) and what types of
memory it contains.  Hopefully this clears things up.

Local memory is a per-thread space.
Shared memory is a per-CTA space (compute shaders only).

LDL and STL instructions access local memory with a zero offset.
LDS, LSDLK, STS, and STSCUL instructions access shared memory with a zero
offset.

LD, ST, RED, ATOM, and CCTL.D instructions access the generic thread address
space, which is layered on top of the channel's virtual address space.

In the generic thread address space, there are 16MB windows into local and
shared memory; everything not in a Local or Shared address window accesses
global virtual memory.

The local window offset within the generic thread address space is determined
by the SetShaderLocalMemoryWindow class method (offset 0x77c in classes *97 and
*c0).

The shared window offset within the generic thread address space is determined
by the SetShaderSharedMemoryWindow class method (offset 0x214 in classes *c0).

For both methods, the offset is in bytes, but the window must be aligned to a
16MB boundary (so the lower 24 bits of the data must be zero). The upper 32
bits of the windows are hard-coded to 0 (so they must be placed within the
lower 4GB of address space).

Generally, it is expected that software will reserve ranges in the global
virtual address space where these windows will be placed. (Otherwise anything
mapped there will be inaccessible to shaders.)

For graphics shaders, the shared address space logic does not exist, so there
is no need to reserve virtual memory for it.

- Robert