[Nouveau] Dealing with opencl kernel parameters in nouveau now that RES support is gone

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Tue Feb 23 10:43:54 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 22-02-16 17:59, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:50 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> On 22-02-16 17:13, Ilia Mirkin wrote:

>> Ack.

>> OK, that answers my questions / worries, I was worried that MEMORY
>> too would have an implied base address, which would more or less only
>> get in the way with opencl, but if the memory register file takes
>> a virtual memory address as second operand to LOAD then I'm happy.
>>
>> So I guess that if we mix in say TGSI-shared / OpenCL-local memory
>> them I would do:
>>
>> DCL MEMORY[0], GLOBAL
>> DCL MEMORY[1], SHARED
>>
>> And then to load something from global mem at offset TEMP[0].y:
>>
>> LOAD TEMP[0].x, MEMORY[0], TEMP[0].yyyy
>>
>> And to load something from the shared mem at offset TEMP[0].y:
>>
>> LOAD TEMP[0].x, MEMORY[1], TEMP[0].yyyy
>>
>> Correct ?  And the shared mem to will take shared virtual memory
>> addresses, just like global takes global virtual memory
>> addresses ?
>
> That's how I see it.

Good.

> You may have to add LOAD64/STORE64 for 64-bit
> addresses though. Or we could decree that all addressing on global
> memory shall be 64-bit (and thus read the .xy components of the
> address source).

I would prefer to keep LOAD / STORE semantics the same as with
other LOAD / STORE -s to / from 1d buffers.

I think that in the end the tgsi backend for llvm will get both
a 32 bit and a 64 bit mode, like the nvptx backend already has.

And then the 64 bit backend will use a new LOAD64 / STORE64
also do not forget that keeping 64 bit pointers takes twice as
much registers, so 32 bit will likely be optimal in a lot of
cases. I guess since OpenCL does not give the user a way
to select which mode to use we will end up with some sort
of heuristic based on the amount of memory on the card or
some such.

After all using 64 bit pointers does not make a lot of sense
on a card with only 1 GB of RAM (yes I know we're talking virtual
address space here).

Anyways this all really is too soon to tell. Maybe the performance
impact of using 64 bit pointers is negligible. But I think it would
be good (and consistent) to keep LOAD / STORE taking 32 bit addresses
even for MEMORY and add a LOAD64 / STORE64 when I get around to
implementing a 64 bit mode for the llvm tgsi backend (or when others
need them).

>>> Another way of looking at it is that instead of having the hacky
>>> RES[12345] being hardcoded to mean something special, you now have a
>>> dedicated file called 'MEMORY', which has identical semantics.
>>

>> I'm all for getting rid of the RES[12345] hack :)
>>
>> I guess where you write "you now have a dedicated file called 'MEMORY'"
>> You mean up to X dedicated MEMORY[#] files, one for each of GLOBAL, SHARED
>> and LOCAL at least, and probably as discussed one for INPUT ?
>>
>> This all sounds good to me, as said my worry was that MEMORY would have
>> an implied base address like BUFFER has, now that you've
>> made clear that MEMORY does not have this I'm happy :)
>
> There's a bit of a wrinkle here, and it's questionable whether we want
> to allow for this somehow, but... Tesla actually has no way to address
> global memory. It's always done with a base offset (which can be set
> to 0). The trick is that it can only address 32 bits at a time,
> there's no 64-bit addressing. But it has *16* such "global" memory
> spaces, i.e. which are each base + up to 32-bit offset [and ultimately
> only 40 bits of addressability]. I don't know if OpenCL provides
> something good for that, if it does we can use semantic indices on the
> GLOBAL to make it like
>
> DCL MEMORY[0], GLOBAL[0]
> DCL MEMORY[1], GLOBAL[1]
>
> etc. But again, this is pretty optional.

I think that for Tesla we can just only support the tgsi32 target
and not the tgsi64 target, at least that is how I envision things
today, who knows what tomorrow will bring :)

Regards,

Hans