[Nouveau] Nouveau support for GeForce GT 730 or GTX 750 Ti?

Thomas Martitz kugel at rockbox.org
Sun Jan 3 11:02:52 PST 2016

Am 03.01.2016 um 19:52 schrieb Csányi Pál:
>> On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Csányi Pál <csanyipal at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I want to use nouveau driver in the future too.
>>>
>>> So I'm in doubt in that that whether to buy
>>> GeForce GT730
>>> So, does nouveau support these cards?
>>>
>>> Should I choose GTX 750 Ti or GT 730 or neither of them?
>>>
>>> Is that true that GTX 750 Ti is Maxwell and may work with
>>> xf86-video-nouveau v1.0.11, but the next v1.0.12 removed the GM10x
>>> support?
>>> So should I buy instead the GT 730 card?
>> I would very much recommend a GT 730 over a GTX 750 Ti in terms of
>> nouveau support, although they are not comparable in price or
>> performance (GT 730 will be cheaper and slower). But on the bright
>> side you should be able to reclock a GT 730, so perhaps with nouveau
>> it really will be faster.
>> Oh, one last thought, I know NVIDIA loves to rebrand marketing
>> names... make sure you don't get a GT 730 that's really a Fermi -- if
>> it says 48 or 96 cores, it's probably a Fermi. If it says 192 or 384
>> cores then it will almost certainly be a Kepler (which is what you
>> want).
> I can't know without buying it whether is it Fermi or Kepler, right?
> I get only these informations from that card:
> VGA GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE GT730, GV-N730D5-2GI, 2GB DDR5,
> 902/5000MHz, HDMI, DVI-D, D-sub
>
> Is this a Fermi or a Kepler card?

In general I'd look out for Kepler-based cards. These are better
supported by nouveau and there are some cards which outperform (in
hardware) a 750 Ti (which is maxwell). I've got a 650 Ti which is slower
(in hardware) than a 750 Ti (but it should be faster than a 730[1]) and
I'm pretty happy with it.

[1]:
http://www.pc-specs.com/gpu/comparison-versus/886/875/geforce-gt-730-vs-geforce-gtx-650-ti

Best regards.