[Nouveau] Nouveau support for GeForce GT 730 or GTX 750 Ti or AMD Radeon R7 240 and AMD ATI RADEON R7 260X ??

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jan 4 11:26:07 PST 2016

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 3:02 AM, Csányi Pál <csanyipal at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Csányi Pál <csanyipal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> So there is an AMD card too:
>>> VGA ASUS AMD Radeon R7 240, R7240-2GD3-L, 2GB DDR3, 128bit,
>>> 730/1800MHz, HDMI, DVI-D, D-sub
>>>
>>> What would be the best choice here:
>>> GEFORCE GT 730
>>> or
>>> AMD Radeon R7 240 ?
>>
>> I don't want to recommend one or the other, esp as I'm unaware of the
>> specifics around exact AMD GPU support. But in general, if things
>> don't Just Work (tm), AMD has full-time employees (plural) working on
>> various aspects of the driver, and those employees are armed with
>> documentation and access to hardware engineers.
>
>> If I were betting on a team, I'd definitely bet on the AMD one :)
>
> Well, my motherboard is P5E-E SLI with
> Chipset:
> North Bridge: NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI (C55)
> South Bridge: NVIDIA nForce 430i (MPC 51)
>
> Expansion slots:
> 2 x PCI Express x16 slots with SLI support
> 1x PCI Express x1 slot
> 2x PCI slots (PCI 2.2)
>
> So can be used on this motherboard AMD Radeon graphics cards at all?
>
> If yes, does nouveau support these two Radeon cards
> with OpenGL of course:
> 1.
> VGA ASUS AMD Radeon R7 240, R7240-2GD3-L, 2GB DDR3, 128bit,
> 730/1800MHz, HDMI, DVI-D, D-sub
>
> 2.
> VGA ASUS R7260X-OC-2GD5, AMD ATI RADEON R7 260X, 2GB GDDR5, 128-bit,
> 1075/5000MHz, 2x DVI, 1x HDMI, 1 x Display Port, 1 x DVI to D-Sub
> adaptor, PCI Express 3.0

Either should be fine, I think, obviously the latter is more powerful.
Note that this will run with the radeon (or amdgpu) drivers, not
nouveau. You should ask the radeon folk as they will know this stuff
for sure. The best way to obtain this type of info is over IRC
(irc.freenode.net #radeon)

  -ilia