[Nouveau] Activate DVI-I behind KVM on FX 5200

Thomas Richter richter at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Jan 4 19:08:13 PST 2016

Hi folks,

I don't seem to be able to enable the DVI-I output of an old FX 5200
behind a KVM switch. Autodetection works fine if the FX 5200 DVI output
is switched to the monitor, but when it is not, I have not found a way
to force-enable it.

Here is what I tried:

*) used the video=DVI-I-1:1280x1024-24 at 60e kernel parameter
(framebuffer still sits at 1024x768)

*) used "options drm_kms_helper edid-firmware=edid/edid.bin"
in /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf. "no initrd here, drm-kms-helper.ko is
loaded during bootstrap)

*) downloaded the edid from the monitor and validated its correctness.
I placed the edid data into /lib/firmware/edid/edid.bin, and added the
module option "options drm_kms_helper edid-firmware=edid/edid.bin"

as one can see from
"/sys/module/drm_kms_helper/parameters/edid_firmware", the parameter is
accepted, but does not resolve the problem. Framebuffer stays at
1024x768, and "xinit" does not give any display.

Any hints appreciated. It would be very helpful to have a working display.

Greetings,
	Thomas