[Nouveau] GSOC 2016 Aspirant for Kepler Accelerated Video Encoding;

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 1 08:56:58 UTC 2016

First, make sure there's a mentor available -- I doubt I'll have time to do
it, but perhaps someone else will be able to.

I would recommend writing a minimal application that e.g. encodes a fixed
group of frames. You should then trace this app under the blob with both
mmiotrace to figure out how to configure the underlying engine (probably
just firmware to upload), as well as get a mmt trace to figure out the fifo
interface end of it.

You could then write a proof of concept app that ran on top of nouveau and
encoded those same frames (with a cooked cmd stream). Once that works, it's
just a question of generalizing the commands to deal with different
parameters, etc. (And sticking the whole thing into Mesa.)

This is what I did when re'ing VP2, you can see some of the programs I used
at github.com/imirkin/re-vp2. Obviously the ones needed here will be
different but it should give an idea of what I mean.

Hope this helps,

  -ilia