[Nouveau] VNC on Optimus systems (is|may be) broken

Pedro Francisco pedrogfrancisco at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 19:02:38 UTC 2016

Hello!
I'm investigating a case where x11vnc (or RealVNC server or vino) on a
_real_ X11 server seems to be broken with any VNC viewer.

By broken I mean: it seems to keep old frames in memory, in such a way
that in every three frames, two are from the past and one is the
current one.

This is easily spotted when using gnome-shell and looking at the clock
at the top. Besides being 'old', the pictures are "pixel-perfect" and
not corrupted in any way.

So, here am I trying to debug it.
Do you have anything to suggest I check before re-running the test?
(namely, blacklisting nouveau and rebuilding initramfs and check if
the problem is gone).

P.S.: virtual VNC servers are _not_ broken.

Thanks in Advance,
Pedro