[Nouveau] display freezes when mouse pointer hits left edge

Robert Schöftner rmu at unfoo.net
Wed Mar 16 22:06:26 UTC 2016

Hi!

I have a very strange problem with a recently purchased ViewSonic 4k
display connected via display port to a Thinkpad 410 with nvidia gt218m
(nvs 3100m).

Every time the mouse pointer touches the left edge of the screen, the
display becomes a block of solid color and freezes. Suspend/resume of the
laptop reanimates the display. I suspected a bug in the handling of the
hardware cursor, so tried disabling that via HWcursor false in xorg.conf,
to no avail. HWcursor false leads to black screens (internal and external).

There are no related messages in dmesg or in xserver-log.

versions: X server 1.17.2, linux kernel 4.5.0, nouveau 1.0.12, dual screens
active (also happens with external monitor active only, though that
configuration is very unstable), does not matter if the external monitor is
configured as "left", "right" or "top" to the internal; did not try
"bottom".

Any Idea how I could further investigate this problem?

As a workaround, i create a pointer barrier via xfixes, that works for now.

TIA
Robert