[Nouveau] Nouveau on a Jetson TK1 problems

Alexandre Courbot gnurou at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 00:01:22 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:11 PM, ben <benjaminscott at centurylink.net> wrote:
> I hope this is a good mailing list for this problem. I have a Jetson TK1
> board and I am trying to get the nouveau drivers running on it without
> success. I am using the following:
>
> Nouveau linux kernel 4.8.0-rc4+
> Nouveau DRM git master
> xf86-video-nouveau git master
> Gnurou xserver  git branch GK20A
>
> My base system is Debian.
>
> When I try to start X I get:  X: drmmode_display.c:783: drmmode_crtc_init:
> Assertion `ret == 0' failed. There is also a kernel log message: [drm]
> Cannot find any crtc or sizes - going 1024x768

Posting your /var/log/Xorg.0.log would be most helpful at this point,
to understand which DDX is being used. On Tegra, you want to use the
modesetting DDX since the display device is driven by tegradrm and
thus not Nouveau-supported.

If you want any kind of acceleration, you will also need to patch X
for the same reason (see the two top commits at
https://github.com/Gnurou/xserver/commits/gk20a). GLamor can be used
with modesetting for hw acceleration, but this requires plugging the
display and rendering devices using PRIME (which X does not support
out-of-the-box at the moment).

These X patches in turn require the following kernel patch which is
not upstreamed yet:
https://github.com/Gnurou/linux/commit/8b06bf92b8da6bee92c3a2a8eaccd74ed3dd1939

Having to patch around is a bit boring, but once you get things
working X on TK1 is a rather pleasant experience (with or without
acceleration). Please let me know if anything is unclear!

Cheers,
Alex.