[Nouveau] HP Zbook17 Dock and UEFI conflict with GK107GLM aka Quadro K1100M

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Thu Feb 2 21:48:19 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 4:43 PM, Phil Turmel <philip at turmel.org> wrote:
> On 02/01/2017 10:40 AM, Phil Turmel wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've been running Gentoo on a ZBook with great success for a couple years,
>> but I've been stymied in my attempts to implement SecureBoot by an
>> apparent problem with efifb to nouveaufb handoff, but only when external
>> monitors are attached.  The handoff works without issue when the BIOS is
>> in Mixed EFI mode, with and without external monitors, and
>> works in Native EFI mode without external monitors.
>
> Sorted by nouveau.config=NvForcePost=1

Bleh. That's unfortunate. Presumably in "Native EFI" mode, displays
work fine with efifb until nouveau takes over?

There was a time when the blob did *something* weird which defeated
nouveau's display logic (when flipping between the two drivers).
Perhaps this Native EFI mode does something along those lines as well.
(Although in those cases, running the VBIOS didn't help... although
each VBIOS is a unique snowflake. In some other cases, double-running
the VBIOS leads to a hung GPU. Urgh.)

  -ilia