[Nouveau] NVAC "No Signal"

Roy Spliet nouveau at spliet.org
Mon Jan 9 18:20:23 UTC 2017

Op 09-01-17 om 00:24 schreef Ben Skeggs:
> On 12/24/2016 07:48 PM, Roy Spliet wrote:
>> I've observed this regression on my NVAC board; a 1920x1080 TV on HDMI
>> (single monitor set-up) gets no signal with Fedora kernels from 4.8.
>> Trace sent to the mmio dumps mailbox. A brief scan already revealed that
>> register 0xe840 is never touched, so it appears that NVIDIA does
>> something different.
>> VBIOS for this board is in the usual place. Commenting out 0xac from the
>> workaround seems to solve the problem, as tested on a Fedora 4.9 kernel.
>> I hope that helps you get a little further with this issue. Cheers, and
>> happy holidays!
> Thanks Roy,
>
> NVIDIA told me that it applied to these boards, but, I can't see NVIDIA
> attempting the workaround in your trace, so until there's evidence to
> the contrary, I've disabled it for MCP7x for now.
>
> Ben.
Thanks. Since your patch is the exact modification I made to verify the
workaround was bugging me, consider it:

Tested-by: Roy Spliet <nouveau at spliet.org>

Given "no display on HDMI since 4.8" is quite a serious regression
(albeit for a small userbase), please consider submitting this to 4.10
as well as a "back-port" to the upstream 4.8 and 4.9 trees.
Thanks again! Cheers,

Roy

>> Roy.
>>
>> Op 22-11-16 om 15:04 schreef poma:
>>> On 20.10.2016 00:46, Ben Skeggs wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> Still broken, more than four months,
>>> tested with mainline 4.9-rc6.
>>>
>>> According to Ben Skeggs,
>>> since this is "told" by NVIDIA i.e. by you, or perhaps some other of your colleagues,
>>> what's more that I don't see progress in this regard,
>>> would you guys from NVIDIA R&D mind help him to finally solve this?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>>> Ref.
>>> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/nouveau/2016-October/026242.html
>>> http://goo.gl/Gm4ffO