[Nouveau] GP106M+Intel Skylake, Kernel 4.10-rc3 : No display on HDMI or DP

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 13 14:50:48 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 3:51 AM, Sylvain Fabre <sylvain at lahiette.com> wrote:
> xrand
>
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192
> eDP-1 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
> axis) 344mm x 194mm
>   1920x1080     60.02*+  47.99
>   1400x1050     59.98
>   1280x1024     60.02
>   1280x960      60.00
>   1024x768      60.04    60.00
>   960x720       60.00
>   928x696       60.05
>   896x672       60.01
>   800x600       60.00    60.32    56.25
>   700x525       59.98
>   640x512       60.02
>   640x480       60.00    59.94
>   512x384       60.00
>   400x300       60.32    56.34
>   320x240       60.05
> HDMI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

OK, so I think that these are not the HDMI/DP outputs connected to
your secondary device. They are the ones connected to your primary
device (might not be pinned out, or might only be available via an
optional dock). Normally there'd be an extra -1- in the name of such
outputs. But who knows with modesetting - perhaps it doesn't stick
that in and sticks 100% to the kernel names.

Have a look at https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/Optimus/ for some
details on how to set up output offloading. The short version is that
you want to do something like

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource 1 0

If that doesn't help, grab the output of

grep . /sys/class/drm/card*-*/status
grep . /sys/class/drm/card*-*/modes

preferably while something is plugged into one of your NVIDIA-attached
connectors. When X first starts, it appears to get an EDID just fine
for your secondary GPU's DP-1 output...

Cheers,

  -ilia