[Nouveau] multiple cards and monitors with xrandr and opengl

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 9 15:57:29 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Sampsa Riikonen <sampsa.riikonen at iki.fi> wrote:
> I am a bit confused that the name is not "Intel" and/or "nouveau"..
> and "modesetting" is a kernel module that finds display modes, right?
>
> (Q2) Am I doing something wrong here?

No. You are using a distribution which has chosen to stop supporting
the device-specific drivers and instead use the "generic" modesetting
ddx, which uses the underlying GL library for acceleration.

I would not recommend doing this, but as with so many things in the
world, nobody really cares about that.

> (Q3) Has the support for separate xscreens been scrapped from the noveau
> driver?
>
> I was also playing around with the "zaphod heads" option (as per
> http://blog.timmattison.com/archives/2012/01/16/how-to-set-up-multi-head-x-in-debian-using-nvidia-cards/
> ), but with little success

Use this guide to put separate monitors on separate X screens:
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/MultiMonitorDesktop/

Just leave out the Xinerama enable bit.

Cheers,

  -ilia