[Nouveau] Interested in writing an Instruction Scheduler for Nouveau (X.Org)

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 13:43:19 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 2:15 AM, Neha Gupta <gneha21 at yahoo.in> wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I have been looking at the X.Org ideas page and the project " Instruction
> Scheduler for Nouveau" caught my eye. I'm learning about Operating Systems
> for 8 months in academics course and udacity linux and operating system
> courses, and thus the idea seems interesting. Also, I’ve been working on a
> Rust based file-system in intermezzOS project and applied to GSoC under
> intermezzOS, which is an OS built using rust. Since it wasn’t completely a
> Mozilla project proposal but was using rust as a programming language,
> Mozilla took the proposal but didn’t have sufficient slots for a non-Mozilla
> project during GSoC. I have some questions:
>
> 1. Where can I get started from (repository link) or some initial bug fixes?

The mesa codebase is at:

  git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa
  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/

The shader compiler in particular is under src/gallium/drivers/nouveau/codegen/

> 2. What would be the primary mode of communication? (IRC/slack..)

IRC (freenode, #dri-devel and #nouveau)

nouveau at lists.freedesktop.org

> 3. I've been shortlisted for GSoC (under CERN) and Outreachy Round 15 (under
> Mediawiki) projects but couldn't get selected due to my enrollment in a
> full-time academic course. Will that be an issue in X.Org as well?

Yes, EVoC doesn't have a fixed timeline like GSoC, but it does require
3-4 months of vacation where you would be able to work nearly full
time on the project.

BR,
-R