[Nouveau] 8K HEVC decoding with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

孫偉程 dmvictor at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 12:53:05 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I have developed an Android VR player, which supports 4K video playback so
far. I want to include the support for 8K video. The current Snapdragon 845
mobile platform supports up to 4K video playback, which lacks the support
for my requirement. So I choose Android-x86 as my platform for development,
which is Android OS runs on Intel x86 architecture. I've tried to play
8K(7680*3840) HEVC encoded video on Android-x86 7.1-r2 with VLC for
Android, the screen freeze. My CPU is Intel Core i5-7400 and my graphics
card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060. I am pretty sure my NVIDIA card is able to
decode 8K video. Because with the same hardware, I play the same 8K video
on Ubuntu 16.04 with ffplay smoothly. NVIDIA's decoder usage is about 40%
and CPU usage is about 50%.

>From NVIDIA website (
https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk#NVDECFeatures), we know
Pascal cards support up to 8192*8192 resolution video decoding acceleration
with HEVC codec. From Nouveau feature matrix (
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/), we know the progress
of video decoding acceleration on NV130 family (
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames/#NV130) is TODO. In Nouveau
VideoAcceleration page (
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoAcceleration/), we can see that
each element in VP6+ row is TODO as well.

I can imagine there is a long way to go to fulfill my requirements. But I
know a driver for my NVIDIA card is a must for the hardware decoder to
work. Can somebody shed some lights that if I want to play an 8K HEVC
encoded video on Android-x86 with NVIDIA's decoder enabled, what should I
do in this project? And how to start?

Best regards,

Victor