[Nouveau] Strange monitor behavior on forced DVI-D output

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Sun Sep 23 16:55:06 UTC 2018

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 12:26 PM, Wolfgang Rißler <wolle321 at freenet.de> wrote:
> I try to send a friendly ping to my problem.
> At the moment I'm running at 1600x1200 (monitor than has 1600x1200
> too), what looks better then 1920x1200 picture on that Monitor with
> 960x1200.
> I cant get 1920x1200 working, but I'm shure, that the monitor has this
> native resolution. (proprietary nvidia-driver does it, but freezes
> after 20min, of course, not your problem).
>
> 1920x1200 on the internal LVDS - Monitor of the Laptop with nouveau
> works.
>
> When I boot up with kms video=DVI-D-1:e video=LVDS-1:d, the screen
> shows 1024x786.

That's not extremely surprising ... force-enabling an output I think
might kill the resolution detection, and 1024x768 is the default. Why
are you force-enabling/disabling video outputs? That should not
generally be necessary.

> Could you give me any hint, what am I doing wrong, or what I could try
> to get DVI-Monitor working?
>
> Could the be a bug in the EDID-data from the monitor?

Could be. I'd encourage you to file a bug with the relevant data (e.g.
a copy of your monitor's edid, which can be obtained from
/sys/class/drm/card0-$conn/edid or so, probably dmesg, anything else
you think is relevant).

Cheers,

  -ilia